The association was renamed under the auspices of Tennis Umpires Australia when the national body was founded in 1994. This change reflected the continued co-operation between Australian regional umpires' associations and deliberate efforts to nationalise participation at international class events.
The national body was later renamed Tennis Officials Australia to make the title inclusive of off-court officials.
The goals of TOAV are:
- To train and supply officials to tournaments requesting our services.
- To provide education on the "Rules of Tennis", in particular to players at junior and club level.
- To train, develop and identify promising officials for National and International Certification.
- To ensure that we have sufficient competent trainers, evaluators and administrators for the current and future needs of the Association.
- To develop umpiring in Victorian regional centres using both Melbourne based and local officials.